Everybody loves a tasty treat every now and then, and kids even more so. If it’s something sugary, eat wisely to avoid needing common dental procedures! When it comes to candy, there is no shortage of sweets to choose from. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the different types and how to choose the right one for your taste buds.
What Is Candy?
Candy is a type of food that is typically made from sugar, corn syrup, water, and sweeteners. It can also include flavoring, coloring, and preservatives. Some candy includes additional things like chocolate, nuts, raisins, and other dried fruits.
The history of candy goes back to ancient times when people would sweeten foods with honey or fruit juices. Candy developed into the form we know today in the 1800s when various confectioners started making it in their shops. There are now thousands of different types of candy available and they come in many different shapes and sizes.
Pick And Mix Options
When you visit some shops, it’s possible to have an extra choice over what you buy. You can either pick one of your favorite sweets and put them all in one bag or create your own custom combination by mixing different types of candy together. You can go for the traditional sweet treats like gummy bears and jelly beans, or you could get a little more creative with your selection, and pick out some of the stranger flavors like bacon or avocado.
Pick and mix is a great option if you want to try something new, or if you can’t decide what type of sweet you want to eat. It’s also a great choice for things like party bags where you don’t know what everyone likes. It’s also sometimes possible to access a range of pre-made pick and mix bags in local grocery stores.
One thing to keep in mind is that the pick and mix option can be more expensive than buying your favorite type of sweet outright. However, it’s a great way to try new things without committing to a whole bar or packet. Plus, who can resist a little bit of everything?
There are plenty of internet stores and websites that will be happy to provide you with your favorite candy. Many allow you to pick and mix sweets online and you can even buy personalized pick and mix pouches to send as gifts to friends and family. Some sites feature free delivery offers and reassure their customers that they use things like face masks, gloves, hairnets, and scoops for hygiene reasons.
If you’re looking for American sweets, cables, and premixed pouches there are UK websites that can provide these.
Some Sweets To Explore
Here is a list of different types of candy you may wish to research or try for yourself. Whilst it’s not an exhaustive list it will give you a flavor (pardon the pun) of what’s available:
- Porky Pigs, Turtles, Black Jacks, Sour Apples, Fruit Salads, Rosey Apples, Black Raspberries, Jelly Filled Turtles, Mermaids, Rings, Jelly Babies, Watermelons, Fizzy Strawberries, Fizzy Cherries, Kola cubes, Heart Throbs, Brains, Dolphins, Fizzy Pencils, Strawberry Bonbons
- Mushrooms, Snakes, Cherries, Dolly Mixture, Bubblegum Bottles, Peaches, Fried Eggs, Cherry Cola, Sour Dummies, Paintballs, Strawberries, 3D Hearts, Bear Buddies, Fizzy Bears, Fizzy Snakes, Rainbow Twists, Milkshake Bottles, Meerkats, Raspberry Bonbons, Rhubarb Custards
- Pinballs, Tongue Painters, Pencils, Bananas, Glow Worms, Spinning Tops, Liquorice Allsorts, Rotellas, Juicy Lips, Chocolate Mice and Gold-Bears, Maoam Stripes, Milk Bottles, Cola Bottles, Fangs, Fizzy Cola, Shrimps, Fizzy Tongues and Pinkies.
Candy For People With Allergies
Even though there are many different types of candy, it can be hard to find options for people with allergies. Here is a guide to sugar-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free candy:
- Sugar-Free Candy: It’s possible to buy sugar-free gummy bears, jelly beans, lollipops, and chocolate. Always check the ingredients list to ensure that they do not contain any sugar derivatives such as maltitol or xylitol. They are sweeteners that can cause stomach problems in some people.
- Dairy-Free Candy: Most sugar-free candy is also dairy-free (However, there are some dairy-free options that do not contain sugar alcohols, so be sure to check). Dairy-free chocolate and ice cream are both widely available from both physical and online stores.
- Gluten-Free Candy: for this option, your choices are sadly a little more limited. However, you may still be able to buy gluten-free gummy bears, jelly beans, lollipops, and chocolate. Once again, be sure to check the ingredients list for any hidden sources of gluten (Wheat starch is a common hidden source of gluten in processed foods).
There are many vegan candy options on the market today. Some popular examples include Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Fish, gummy bears, and jelly beans. When choosing vegan candy, it’s important to make sure that no animal products were used in the manufacturing process. For example, some jelly beans contain gelatin which is made from animal bones and skin. So, when looking for vegan candy, be sure to read the ingredients list carefully.
Another example is Tootsie Rolls which are classic treats. They are vegan-friendly and don’t worry – they taste great! You can also buy Jelly Belly jelly beans. These colorful beans come in a variety of flavors, including apple, cherry, grape, lime, orange sherbet, and strawberry.
Vegan Chocolate Bars
If you’re looking for a vegan-friendly snack that’s a little bit more indulgent, try vegan chocolate bars. There are many different types on the market, including dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate. Some popular vegan chocolate brands include Theo Chocolate, Endangered Species Chocolate, and Sweet Earth Chocolates.
The sky’s the limit when it comes to candy and you can always find something to suit your fancy. Whether you want something salty, sugary, chocolatey, fruity, or tangy there are plenty of examples. You can buy themed packs (e.g. Pirates) which are great for kids’ parties too. Why not go online now or visit your local stores – there could be literal treats ahead!